Astrology is the practice of studying the movements of stars and planets and the effect they have on people and our planet. At the most basic level, astrology is the practice of searching for meaning in the sky. We do this to try and understand human behaviour.
Evidence of astrology can be seen in cave drawings created as early as 25,000 years ago.
Basic astrology takes into account two things:
- Planetary alignment
- The Zodiac.
Planetary alignments covers the path of the sun and moon through the zodiac and periods of planetary retrogrades. Mercury retrograde anyone?? No takers?
The Zodiac is something that most people are familiar. In modern culture we are assigned a ‘star sign’ based on where the sun is located within the zodiac on our day of birth.
There are 12 signs in the zodiac:
- Aries: March 21 – April 19
- Taurus: April 20 – May 20
- Gemini: May 21 – June 21
- Cancer: June 22 – July 22
- Leo: July 23 – August 22
- Virgo August 23 -September 22
- Libra: September 23 – October 22
- Scorpio: October 23 – November 21
- Sagittarius: November 22 – December 21
- Capricorn: December 22 – January 19
- Aquarius: January 20 – February 18
- Pisces: February 19 – March 20
More complex variations of astrology also include astrological houses and aspects.